Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Danika

This is another mixed media/wire sculpture I'll be finishing soon, a portrait of a good friend of mine who passed away almost ten years ago now...dang--has it really been that long? Before she died, she'd given me a beautiful antique picture frame...HUGE...to store temporarily. I never got the chance to give it back to her. So I decided to give it back in another way, by turning it into her portrait.
Fast forward a decade...DOH! I still haven't finished it because something about doing justice to Danika's beautiful face was holding me back...and I think I've just discovered the missing piece! It was jewelry, all along. In learning to do jewelry-quality work, I think I inadvertantly just made myself a better sculptress. FINALLY I am ready to bring this piece to fruition. Sorry it took me so long, Danika, ol pal. But I think it will be worth the wait.






2 comments:

  1. OMG! Your so talented! I'm sure Danika knew you would do something awesome! Your a awesome friend. What a experience that must have been. Take care sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe...thanks, Kim...you are such a sweetheart <3 But I don't feel like an awesome friend. I feel like a flaky, fickle wretch after that reading...too easily distracted...the biggest procrastinator in the werld! I've already begun to work on it again, tho...I just have a few loose ends to wrap up in my shop, then I may even go on vacation to finish this piece. Whatever it takes.

    ReplyDelete